Friday 4 February 2011

Musings of a bionic mum-to-be

Recently my mother-in-law gave me an interesting newspaper clipping about the sorts of things new mums stress about when it comes to their babies. The top 10 list of worries included things like how to set up a routine for the baby, how to recognise the different types of crying, how to balance the time spent with grandparents, manage sickness, etc.

Being bionic, my personal worries are a little different to these, so I thought I’d share with you my own little list. ;-)

Long-term concern:

1. Will my son be able to stand up for himself if he’s teased at school because his mum has funny things hanging off her head?

Medium-term concerns: 

2. Just how many times is that little toddler going to try and yank my processors off my ears?

3. Will the sensitivity settings on my vibrating baby monitor have me waking up for every little murmur, hiccup and sigh? Or can I rig the monitor to just wake me up for actual crying?!

Short-term concerns:

4. They say a mum can recognise her own baby’s cry from another’s within three days of the birth. Will I be able to recognise the sound too? (Guess it depends on whether the recognition is based on pitch, timbre or basic maternal instincts.)

5. Which batteries should I use at the hospital – disposables, or rechargeables?

6. The hospital policy is that the baby stays with the mum whenever possible, not in the nursery – that includes overnight. My vibrating baby monitor will be set up at home only. So should I trust the nurses to remember that I’m deaf and come and wake me if my son is crying? Or not leave it to them and just sleep with an alternating processor for a few nights?  

Labour concerns (yikes!):

7. Exactly what program should I use for my processors during labour? Am thinking ‘Noise’ to block out the sound of my own screaming. ;-)

8. Oh and that brings me to this point – should I lower the sensitivity settings so that I don’t hear what’s going on in the adjacent birthing suites? (Could be wise!)

9. Laugh all you like, but ... are my processors going to fly off during labour??!!

And, readers, my single biggest worry of all:

10. If they do fly off, are they going to magnetically attach themselves to one of those horrifying metallic instruments that are destined to be inserted elsewhere? ;-)

Bet you won’t find this version of ‘worries’ published in the Herald Sun anytime soon!

14 comments:

  1. If they do fly off I wanr a picture!!
    Krysten xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re worry 3 -- if you do find yourself waking up for every hiccup, sigh etc -- it may not even be due to being bionic -- but simply due to being a new mum!
    You may find yourself miraculously waking up a few seconds in advance of any action in the cot or on the monitor ... such are the joys of motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, thanks Fleur ... am very reassured by all the comments that much of this stuff has more to do with maternal instincts than actual hearing! Phew!

    Lots of my buddies on the US/Canadian blog site (http://www.cochlearcommunity.com/Daniela/weblog/9256.html) agree with you on that too. Very comforting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and sorry Krysten ... the one thing I am strict about is that no cameras are to be allowed anywhere near the birthing suite!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have just been catching up with your blog, and after reading your concerns and everyone elses comments, I come to the same conclusion as that newspaper article did...HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF!!! YOU WILL BE GREAT!!! AND NO MATTER WHAT, YOUR SON AND ANY FUTURE CHILDREN WILL LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

    Lots of Love
    Your Mother-In-Law xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. NANNY!!! please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK "Nanny"!! Just remember I have that in writing now, lol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Daniela! My name is Mandy and I'm from Argentina, my 1 year old daughter Catalina, got her bilateral N5 15 days ago, my husband Fede just found your blog looking for some of the answers as my concerns on how Cata will be able to manage as a mom...I think you are awsome!
    On your concern #3...most likely if you are too tiered you wont feel the baby monitor as I dont hear mine!
    #2...it will happen once every 5 seconds, as Cata does with my glasses! You will attempt to get mad, but once that smile is on your kids face, you will realize you can't get mad and you will just smile at him back!
    #6...if you are lucky you will get some sleep! I wouldnt worry too much! hahaha
    #5 I got Cata's N5's yesterday, there are soo many different implents I will suggest take disposable batteries to avoid carring too many things!
    I will now read all your blog! I think you Rock! Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I have such a huge smile on my face - thanks Mandy! Love your advice on the baby stuff too, thanks!

    How is Cata going - have the processors been switched on yet? Very exciting times ahead for you! There are a lot of YouTube videos where you can watch other children's activation days. It always brings tears to my eyes when I see their faces light up at their parent's voices! Can understand you being worried about her future. There will be hard work ahead, no doubt about it, but the results are amazing!

    You should take a look at my friend Michael's blog - he was implanted at 2 years old. He's now in his early 20s and has done so well for himself!
    http://www.cochlearcommunity.com/michaelnoble

    Also, definitely check out the montage of videos from Cochlear's celebration contest:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CochlearAmericas?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/jpYNl9CPiQo

    The kids are so gorgeous! And the winner, Elizabeth Lance, wears cochlear implants and is now a mother. Her video is played in full at the end of the montage. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daniela, Cata is scheduled to be turned on on the 29th. We have been watching different toddlers switched on! We are very excited! Cata is such a beautifull baby, she has been going to a special school since she was 2 and half months to get estimulated, so we have also had the opportunity of seeing kids from different ages and how they have reacted to the turn on and saw them get more and more language every day.
    I will check out the links you sent me. We know we have a lot of work ahead of us to help her integrate into sociaty, develop and become a confident little girl. Thanks! It really helps get inside info of what our little baby is going through. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So excited for you - the 29th is going to be a very special day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Daniela!

    CI processors can fly off your head quite easily; so I suggest reading Katie-louise Bailey's world-class page on Playing Sports While Wearing CI, as it will tell you what you need to do.

    There is one small caveat: The "Hearmould" in Katie-louise's article is for the Advanced Bionics T-Mic: What you want are CROS open style retention molds. See how Lotte Sophie uses them here -- here and here.

    Mazel Tov for your new Bambino!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Dan! Cochlear's SnugFit worked a treat. :-)

    ReplyDelete