Wednesday 23 February 2011

BEI concert review (coming soon!)

Of course I’ve got lots to report on the BEI concert! Has been a crazy couple of weeks juggling CICADA deadlines with medical appointments, but don’t think I’ve forgotten! 

My review of the concert will be published in the autumn issue of CICADA, and I haven’t wanted to repeat myself here or duplicate the text prior to publication. BUT, I am working something out with the team and there’s a chance I might be able to make it available sooner – watch this space!

In the meantime, I will say that I had a wonderful night. Each of the six performances offered something special. The composers were very creative in the way they went about trying to overcome the challenges associated with bionic hearing. The different types of sound combinations were definitely a feast for the ears, though some were less welcome than others! My favourite performances of the evening, for those who attended, were the final two. I loved the piece by Robin Fox, for its visual confirmation of sounds (‘no, that high-pitched sound is not my tinnitus – the new colour onscreen can confirm that!’) and for its clever use of speakers to give this bilateral recipient an amazing sense of stereo sound. The last piece, by Eugene Ughetti, was a real treat to both watch and listen to. Some wonderful talent on the drums there! There were so many different (and unique) instruments on stage, and I was captivated by the speed at which the performers played them, never once losing the rhythm.

Will post a link to my proper review as soon as it becomes available! 

Oh, and these are the processor covers I wore. :-)

2 comments:

  1. We're waiting with baited breath here in the United States for your review!

    Also, I'm sending Facebook friend suggestions between you and several CI researchers I know, including three at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles; fellow Electrical Engineer Mike Marzalek; and Viral Tejani at University of Maryland.

    Dan Schwartz
    Editor, The Hearing Blog~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cicada magazine has started being circulated so hopefully won't be long now!

    ReplyDelete