Monday 30 August 2010

Winter sounds

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a lover of sounds. I’ve just been having a lot of trouble finding a favourite winter sound to blog about.

Some people like the sound of rain against the window. They find it soothing. I have nothing against the sound of rain. I just don’t particularly like rain. And I know it’s Not Politically Correct to say that in a drought-stricken place where it doesn’t rain nearly enough, but there. I said it. Sorry. I’m not a winter person. If sunshine had a sound, then I’d be sure to love that sound.

Some people like the sound of a crackling fire as logs burn away. But we don’t have one of those. We have a central heating system. That whistles. Do I want to know what is trapped in the ducts that’s causing the whistle? I’m thinking not. So I ignore the whistle instead.

Then there’s thunder. You know …  I’m yet to hear a thunderstorm this winter. There was a noisy one a couple of weeks ago, where the force of the wind almost blew our front door wide open. But I slept blissfully through. (Love the perks!) I’m terribly curious about how thunder sounds through cochlear implants though. I’m wondering if it’ll sound like a plane has fallen through the roof. But I’m probably not likely to hear thunder until summer, so can’t say it’s a ‘winter sound’.

I suppose there are other sounds that seem to be readily available winter sounds. The wind blowing broken umbrellas down the street. Coffee grinders whirring away nonstop around the city. The stirring of metallic spoons in porcelain soup tureens around lunch time. But I couldn’t really pick a favourite sound.

The other day though, only a few days out from the end of winter, I finally chose one.

I apparently have the coldest hands and feet in the world. Jase calls them ‘ungodly things’. As in, ‘get those ungodly things away from me’. Sure. Nobody wants to be hugged by an ice block in winter. But if he doesn’t hug me back, my teeth start chattering. And you know me. I’m a bit of A Pest. So I make my teeth start chattering louder and louder, faster and faster until he gives in. (Anyone else hear the sound of a dentist’s drill in my not too distant future?)

Ahhh. Good bye cold hands and feet. At least for one of us, anyway. :-)

My favourite winter sound:

Teeth chattering!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know I said we are proud of you, but gee sometimes I so worry about you!!!!!
    Anne xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd worry about Jase ... having to put up with me, ha ha ha. :-D
    xx

    ReplyDelete