Tuesday 17 August 2010

"Cochlear music" – the ABC Radio National interview

Very happy to take part in a national radio interview to spread further awareness about the work the Bionic Ear Institute are doing here in Melbourne.

Can I just point out the not-so-obvious but overwhelmingly amazing fact that this interview was conducted over the phone? Imagine that! Only five months ago, I'd pick up the phone and not even hear a dial tone. For about 14 months prior to that, I couldn't understand speech well enough to use a phone.

When I was asked to do a radio interview over the telephone, I was a little nervous. (Can you hear the shakiness in my voice, in the podcast?!) It's not so hard when you're talking to family or friends – there's less pressure. Or when you're ringing someone to make an appointment – you can often anticipate what they're asking you, after all, and the conversation Is generally balanced between the two parties. But to have to call someone who was going to quickly fire a series of unknown questions at me, and know that I'd not only have to hear them but also interpret them fast enough to provide an articulate answer? Woah. But I did it! ('Ums' and 'ahs' aside, of course.) I didn't miss a single word she said. And the buzz I felt after I completed the interview was totally worth it!

So here's a link to the podcast. We are, again, talking about the way music might sound with a cochlear implant, and the concert that the wonderful scientists at the Bionic Ear Institute will be putting together to showcase the work of Robin Fox and his team of composers.


http://www.abc.net.au/rn/breakfast/stories/2010/2983651.htm


If you need a transcript, please let me know by leaving a comment. I'm more than happy to transcribe it for people with a hearing loss (oh the irony!!) but will first need to check that it's OK with the ABC.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment