Tuesday 10 August 2010

A plea for Tony and Julia

I had been hoping for a little more, you see?

I was rather hearing impaired during the last federal election, and so I was really looking forward to being able to hear what’s going on in this one. You know, listening to you speak in interviews instead of reading the transcripts in the papers afterwards.

I’ve heard the sound of your voices, that’s true. Cochlear implants don’t exempt me from hearing the sugar-coated words versus the cold, authoritative ones. The stuttering that comes in any sentence that includes the word ‘policy’. The anger. The accusatory tones. The defiant retorts.

And yet there are silences. How fascinating. The long pauses that follow a question. The lack of coherent responses. Actual answers at all, really.

For the first time since switch-on, I’m inclined to admit that being able to hear in this situation is making, well, very little difference.

Won’t you please provide some answers my brain can actually comprehend? Before I call Cochlear’s customer service department? (Seriously, are these things on?)  

2 comments: