Tuesday 4 January 2011

Happy New Year!

Yes, I’ve emerged from a happy, dreamlike state of Christmas splendour, New Year’s festivities and family birthday parties!

So many happy moments to lose myself in, but I confess there were moments when I stepped back from it all and quietly marvelled at how far I’d come.


The Christmas season was how I used to remember it. Except with a greater appreciation for sound. It came without the stress and exhaustion of not being able to hear properly. I accepted invite after invite and surrounded myself with people instead of isolating myself from situations that were once too difficult. I rattled every Christmas decoration with bells inside it. Pressed every musical plush toy playing Christmas music. I watched the television broadcast of carols by candlelight with happy tears running down my face when I heard the voices of the choir fill the room with Hallelujah. I listened to my favourite Christmas carol (Michael Crawford’s ‘Oh Holy Night’) for 90 minutes on repeat until it sounded good again. Watched Christmas movie after Christmas movie and heard all the soundtracks I’d been missing.

It was hard to say good bye to such an amazing year. But as I sit out in the sunshine with the laptop it’s impossible not to steal a glance at the gorgeous ‘Bionic beauty rose’ that has just blossomed (thanks Dave and Jo for this wonderful present!) and think it synonymous with the other new life that will be arriving this year.

Yes. 2011 is going to be another good one.

Happy new year to all my loyal readers! Hope 2011 is a good one for you too. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea there was a Bionic Beauty rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool, eh? The planter info card has a pic of Professor Graeme Clark on it and a short spiel about the Bionic Ear Institute. Proceeds go to the BEI. :-) Will take a photo of it when I get around to it!

    ReplyDelete