Thursday 2 December 2010

Christmas cheer!

Of course I have been waiting all year to decorate my processor covers for the Christmas season. My friends and family who know how much I love Christmas would have been completely disappointed me in me if I didn’t spread some Christmas cheer come the 1st December.

Now I haven’t yet written a single card (getting there, getting there), and my tree isn’t up because our bed is in the lounge room (more renovations, almost there), but the one thing I did have ready by the 1st December: my processor covers! 

 



 

Very easy to do. Take the Nucleus 5 green coloured cover (green cameo, I think it’s called?), and head to your local craft store for some Christmas stickers  you can use. It took me a while to find some stickers that were small enough, but you can be creative – just cut around some of the larger shapes, if you need to. (For example: if the Santa Claus sticker is too big, just cut around his hat and use that instead!)

You only have to put stickers across the side that is facing outwards, so you can still flip around to the standard green if you want to. Also, after the holiday season, you should just be able to peel the stickers off.

When it comes to the coil, there are a few things you can try. A magnetic badge will stick to it – I found some light-up badges at my local supermarket, so will be using those on Christmas Day! I’ve also come across magnetic buttons that will stick well enough. The other thing that works – some of those ‘picks’ that you can use for home-made wreaths. I wound a sprig of holly around one of the coils and that looked OK too!

In the end, I went with the metal hairclips you can see in the photo. They do stick to the coil, and I thought about cutting through part of the steel to just use them as magnets. But in the end, I didn’t have the right tools – was a bit nervous about putting a sharp edge near my skin, so I kept the clip intact and clipped it in front of the coil instead.

I wore these to the Cochlear Christmas lunch for research volunteers yesterday, and they were a hit! Hopefully I’ve inspired some other Melbourne recipients to be creative! The staff at Cochlear are right – their Aussie market tend to want devices that can be disguised.

Now I know most of my US and Canadian buddies on the Cochlear Community do not feel this way. In fact, I can’t wait to see what designs you all come up with – I’m sure you can all do a much better job than me! I’m especially looking forward to seeing Denise’s ‘monthly bling’!

But I’m aiming to change the attitudes here in Oz. What better way to spread awareness than to show off the devices that have completely changed our lives. And I never thought to do it but, you know, hearing aids can be sorta decorated too. (With stickers that peel off!) Hearing loss is not something we can help or should be ashamed of, so let’s all have a little fun with it.

I’m off to get ready for another day in the city – yep, the Eye and Ear Hospital’s lunch today! And you can bet my festive processors are coming with me!

4 comments:

  1. Onya Danielle! They look fabulous! There is absolutely no reason why hearing aids and speech processors can't also be fashion accessories in the same way glasses can be. I remember years ago telling my grandmother (most beloved and respected by me) about some flouro hearing aid covers available in the USA that I thought were a fun idea. She was horrified and said in a prim voice, "Why would you want to draw attention to your affliction?"

    Cracks me up every time I think of it. :-) Times have changed and can do with further change, I'm thinking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha, love that! Got one in my family who used to share the same horror, I think (though never worded it quite as articulately!) but now she smiles at them instead! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you decided not to go over the top with those. :-) This tweet made me think of you, naturally enough:

    Not forgetting those who've had a cochlear implant this holiday season: Happy new ear! (via @theharryshearer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bron, long time no hear. (That's my lame response to the 'happy new ear' tweet, lol. I like that one, should've thought of it myself!)

    Ah, you know me, I like to be subtle. ;-)

    How have you been??

    ReplyDelete