Thursday 4 November 2010

Bionic Ear Institute – the television interview! As promised!

A few blogs ago, I mentioned our meeting at the Bionic Ear Institute had been partially filmed by the ABC, for a program called ‘Art Nation’.

I’ve mentioned the concert project plenty of times, but in case I have new readers ... the Bionic Ear Institute have teamed up with a group of composers, lead by Robin Fox. The composers are learning all about cochlear implants and are trying to create pieces of music that people with cochlear implants can enjoy. The pieces of music will be performed at a concert in Melbourne, in February next year. It will hopefully be recorded so we can share the experience with cochlear implant recipients around the globe.

The first meeting between composers and CI recipients took place in early October. The film crew from the ABC were present for part of it. Aside from filming part of the meeting, they also spoke to a few cochlear implant recipients afterwards, myself included.



The interview aired on Australian television last Sunday night. As promised, here is the link to the online version.

Visit this link to the entire show if you want to enable captions (it's the first story on the show – just press the ‘CC’ button for the captions):

... Or this link to download the story alone, no captions:

Oh, and feel free to comment on my amazing finger-pointing talent!

Jason has. Over and over again. In fact, if there’s a lull in conversation, he’ll give me a cheeky smile and point to something random around the room. ;-)

(What I’m actually doing in the interview is pointing to the speaker that I think an introduced sound is coming from, while listening to an ongoing melody coming from one speaker. It’s a way of testing how well CI recipients can localise sound, and it’s quite tricky!)

Hope you enjoy the interview and, based on my brother-in-law’s comment the other day, my ‘Saturday Night Fever’ dance moves. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment