Sunday 18 July 2010

Three-month evaluation

I certainly didn't need formal testing to confirm I made the right choice in dropping the Prednisone and opting for cochlear implants instead.


But it sure is mind-blowing when you see the results formalised on paper.




Below are the results for my speech perception with a hearing aid, prior to the surgery, compared to with the left CI only, right CI only, and both CIs together.


Prior to surgery, I had total deafness on the left side, so testing was not completed on that side. Therefore, it's effectively '0%'. Also, prior to surgery, I was never tested on sentences in noise. My hearing was so poor for testing in quiet, that there was really no point. So that's marked as 'N/A'.


Similarly, my results for hearing sentences in noise with a cochlear implant were too high to deem testing in quiet to be of any value. So results for those fields are also 'N/A'.




Test Pre-Op
Right HA
CI Left
3 months
CI Right
3 months
CI + CI
3 months
CVC word score 6% 96% 92% 96%
CVC phoneme score 35% 99% 97% 98%
CUNY sentences in quiet 20% N/A N/A N/A
CUNY sentences in noise N/A 86% 88% 99%


It's pretty clear from the results that being bilateral is a huge help for hearing sentences in background noise! 


Further speech perception testing will take place at the 12-month point, next year. I'd better get in some serious 'Sound and Way Beyond' speech training before then, so I can score 100%. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment