Thursday 25 March 2010

And on the eighth day … there were cherries

Yesterday I told you about the smell of smoke and petrol. Today I’m sitting here enjoying the smell of cherries! The fruit? No. My shampoo! Aaaah … I made it to the one-week mark and was allowed to wash my hair. So now, every time I swish it around (and I’m doing that a lot), I’m greeted with the scent of fragrant cherries. Mmmm.


Today was my one-week follow-up appointment with my surgeon, Dr Robert Briggs. (Has it already been a week since the operation??!) I was a bit embarrassed about seeing my surgeon because, well … during the week I recalled something that I’d said to him in my drowsy post-operative state.


It’s all because of some email correspondence we had last month. I had formally addressed him (‘Dear Dr Briggs’) and he had ever so casually replied with a: ‘See you Tuesday. Rob.’ I loved that he was so approachable and friendly … even though I had a bit of a chuckle to myself that it would be slightly more comforting if the man appointed to drill through my skull addressed himself as ‘Doctor’. ;-)

So last week, when I woke up from the anaesthetic, his face was one of the first I saw, smiling down at me. He had given me the thumbs up. ‘Operation went really well’, his lips worded, and he gave me the thumbs up. And what did I reply, in my half-dazed state? You got it. ‘Thanks … Rob.’ ;-) Yes, I even recall giving him a cheeky smile after I said it, so I’d semi-consciously made a joke in my drugged state. I hardly even make jokes in my conscious state. What possessed me?! I remember closing my eyes straight after I said it, too, so I have no idea what his reaction was. And when I recalled this moment, a few days ago, I nearly fell off my chair. I still can’t believe I said that!

I think I’m embarrassed because I have nothing but total trust and respect for him. He really is one of the nicest doctors I have ever met. And based on the smooth recovery I’ve made (no awful side effects!), plus the tidiness of the wounds back there, clearly a very proficient surgeon too. Doctor Briggs, if you happen to be reading this: consider it my apology! :-)

The appointment today went well – bandaids ripped off, wounds thoroughly checked. They are apparently healing nicely – just have to get Jase to keep an eye on them and put some Betadine antiseptic on them if they become weepy.

This is what my ears look like: 



I have nine appointments scheduled with the CI clinic between now and 30th June. These are: a one-month follow-up with the surgeon, ‘switch-on’ / first mapping day (set for the 7th April!), six additional mapping sessions, and a three-month CI assessment with the audiologist.

For those interested in a brief rundown of my surgery recovery process, see the notes below.

In the meantime, I’m off to flick that hair of mine a little bit more. :-)

---------------------------
The first 12 hours (Thursday – Friday)
  • Pressure bandage on: very hot, hard to focus as it was pressing on eyes
  • Vomiting from anaesthetic
  • Overnight stay in hospital
  • Metallic taste: from anaesthetic
  • Pain-killers: codeine
  • Sleep: fair bit, on my back only, between blood sugar/pressure checks
  • General wellbeing: terrible!
Days 1–2 (Friday – Saturday)
  • Pressure bandage off: Friday morning
  • Vomiting from anaesthetic (although I later learnt it was the codeine)
  • Discharged from hospital: Friday morning
  • Metallic taste: from anaesthetic
  • Pain-killers: codeine
  • Sleep: very little, on my back and semi upright at night; day-time naps
  • General wellbeing: OK, not great
Days 4–5 (Sunday – Monday)
  • No more vomiting!
  • Metallic taste: still present
  • Pain-killers: Nurofen/Panadol
  • Swelling appeared in front of both ears
  • Nose blowing: failed! Forgot to rule out spicy foods, oops! Ouch!  
  • Sleep: very little, on my back but lying flat; day-time naps
  • General wellbeing: much better
Day 6  (Tuesday)
  • Metallic taste: gone; food tastes normal again
  • Pain-killers: Nurofen/Panadol
  • Sleep: more than usual, thanks to the travel pillow – alternated b/w sleeping on both sides and sleeping on back; day-time naps
  • General wellbeing: pretty good
Days 7–8 (Wednesday – Thursday)
  • Pain-killers: Panadol
  • Sleep: not bad, still interrupted; day-time naps
  • General wellbeing: pretty good
What’s missing? Though I’m not ‘missing’ them! 
  • No dizziness so far :-D
  • No change in tinnitus
  • No facial paralysis
  • No taste disturbance (other than to anaesthetic)

2 comments:

  1. Your favourite cousin - Mirka ;)26 March 2010 at 17:50

    What did u say? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your still-embarrassed cousin - Daniela ;-)27 March 2010 at 08:35

    Should I be worried about what else I might have said? :-P

    ReplyDelete