Friday 20 May 2011

Tuning time

I’m very excited about my piano being tuned next week. It started going out of tune last December and got progressively worse with all the humidity over summer. Having finished my concert and lessons in time, I never bothered getting it tuned. Figured it could wait until its regular annual tune in May.

I’ve been deliberately avoiding it while it sounds so bad, for fear I will accidentally retrain my brain the incorrect tones and pitches for everything. Is that even possible? Not sure. But I dare not risk it after all my hard work.

People ask me if I can perceive that it’s out of tune. Yes! Notes that don’t belong in certain scales. An annoying twang that not only resonates after pressing a key, but changes the tone. Bars of music that sound like they’re being played in entirely different keys. Reminds me what it was like playing the piano with my distorted natural hearing in the months leading toward total deafness.

Can’t wait to get back into playing – I really miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment