Friday 14 May 2010

Piano score

One of my favourite all-time quotes is by Victor Hugo. He said:
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."


I've been very silent on this blog about what music actually means to me. And should I tell you my complete musical 'story', you'd be reading for days. ;-)


Let me just say that there are some childhood dreams we leave behind, and others we are tied to for some inexplicable reason. For me, one of the dreams I couldn't leave behind was my desire to pursue the piano.


Some day, I'd buy a real piano.

Some day, I'd go back and continue the lessons I was unable to continue as a child.

Some day, I'd be able to play Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu and the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

When I started to lose my hearing, my wonderful, supportive husband helped me go about realising this dream, recognising that my 'some days' had a ticking deadline. We bought a beautiful acoustic piano, and I started taking lessons. I took lessons right up until two days before the CI surgery, even though the piano sounded more awful every time I played it. I just learnt to block it out, really.

I had been warned that I might not want to pursue the piano any further, after getting cochlear implants. Notes missing. Every four tones sounding alike. CI wearers preferring to play it in complete silence. I read the accounts. I was prepared. I reluctantly put the lessons 'on hold', not having the courage to quit altogether. I understood the warnings, but I honestly didn't believe the piano could sound any worse than it already did. I was wrong.

Listening to the piano through my CIs sounded horrible after switch-on. I'd play one note, and I'd hear two different tones, a different one in each CI. I played a piece and the melody was barely recognisable through all these additional notes that I wasn't supposed to be hearing. It was very difficult to work out if either CI was even giving me the correct note. Which sound was I supposed to ignore?

I tried ignoring all of them, the technique I used when I was profoundly deaf and relied on amplified distorted hearing through an aid.

And here's the fascinating thing. I slowly found myself not wanting to ignore them. I sat down at that piano and forced myself to play it every day, for half an hour, both CIs on. And when some of those sounds started to match the sounds in my head, it became harder to block them out. Why would I block them out when they sounded correct? It was impossible. They started overlapping the melody in my head. Of course, that meant I was in for a rude shock every time the piece moved into an octave that still sounded distorted for me. But I suddenly realised that playing the piano was slowly coming together for me.

It has been five weeks since activation. I no longer hear two different tones per note. Each semitone sounds different, but they are not necessarily the correct tones. Especially in the middle three octaves on the piano, where they still sound awful. The lower and higher ranges sound beautiful.

Does the piano sound the same as it did when you had natural hearing?
Absolutely not.

Does it at least sound like a piano?
Sometimes. Sometimes it sounds more like a digital synthesizer. But it's still early days.

Does it sound out of tune like it did through my hearing aid?
For now, the middle three octaves sound out of tune.

Is it playable? 

YES. As long as my CI volumes are on '1'. Otherwise, I seem to pick up the sound reverberating around the room, and that creates a very distracting echo.

Is it more challenging playing the piano with cochlear implants, than it was with damaged amplified hearing?

It is just as challenging, but in a different way. I will say this much:
Before, I was fighting against damaged hair cells in the cochlea. And losing. Now, I'm fighting against the sound of the CIs versus the ability of my brain to make sense of it. And winning.

It would have been wrong for me to not blog about my biggest CI milestone of the week, when it is one that is so close to my heart:

On Tuesday night, I resumed my piano lessons!!

It was so nice to hear my teacher's voice and be able to watch her hand movements on the piano while she was explaining something, instead of having to lipread and miss seeing the technique!

And now I can get moving on that third little 'some day' of mine!

4 comments:

  1. Music is something that if I know the tune already, it usually sounds great. If not - horrible, discordant noise. Music or singing on the tv - yuck - and I really hate being stuck in a car when someone else has the radio or a cd on - it really is a nightmare to be trapped with that noise! In the house, I have quiet... I think some people find that weird or uncomfortable, everyone is so used to having background music. But at least in my house I have a choice. :-)

    When I play my violin, it's a lot better than it used to be so I do believe the quality of what you are hearing will increase in leaps and bounds. I had lots of crackles and scratches initially and they're all gone now - no doubt "new" sounds now all filed away neatly and tidily by my brain. :-)

    But, like you, I can't tell if I'm in tune. Mostly, my fingers know what to do. But I used to play by ear - guess the right note. If it was wrong, simply don't do it again! But now I can't hear at all if it's wrong... and have even been known to play whole passages of music slipping in and out of the wrong key, without even realising!

    It doesn't help a lot, but it helps a little, when I have PowerTuner, an iPhone app, open as I play, so I can see (to an extent - my fingers are often faster than the tuner takes to detect the note) if my fingers are drifting from where they should be and I can get myself back into position. Doesn't help at all when playing by ear, though...

    I can play when I'm alone and tell myself it doesn't *matter* how it sounds as long as I'm enjoying myself, but I actually do still care and feel a little disheartened.

    I tell myself that it is primarily about communication, and my CIs have given me communication, and any music is a bonus - and that's all true. But I can't help feeling sad sometimes and I think that's perfectly normal under the circumstances! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Vicki - I'm so impressed that you can still play the violin. If the piano sounds out of tune, I can just ignore it. To have to tune a violin to perfection, every time ... well, I think I'd feel defeated. I too am missing being able to 'play by ear', but I have heard that people can once again play that way - it can sometimes take years of dedication though. At least the journey is an upwards one. So glad you don't get the crackles with the violin any more. I agree that it's perfectly OK to feel sad sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here! Here Vicki! You may feel sad sometimes and that is ok, but even tho I don't know you, please feel proud that you can and are still playing a musical instrument, let alone the violin, so what if it sounds terrible, play til your hearts content on your own and travel away with your imagination. Enjoy!!! Now to you Daniela, I'm so happy for you and proud of your determination, I knew you'd be able to do it, keep going, I want to come to the next recital!!! Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anne. What was that last word you said, I didn't quite catch it? (Never mind.) :-P

    ReplyDelete